Friday, January 17, 2014

Nature, red in beak and talon

The Canvasbacks were gone from the Reservoir today. The group of Wood Ducks was still around, minus one drake:

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Wood Ducks, Central Park Reservoir

And the Ring-Necked Duck is still around:

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Ring-Necked Duck, Central Park Reservoir

On the northern end of the Reservoir, I watched a female Hooded Merganser dive and come up with a crawfish:

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Hooded Merganser eating a crawfish, Central Park Reservoir

And then I headed over to the Pool. On the way, I spotted a red-Tailed hawk perched high in a tree. I took a couple of photos, and then looked around and saw Karen Fung photographing something in another tree. She has followed a diving Red-Tailed Hawk from the Reservoir, and it was now enjoying a meal on a low perch:

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Red-Tailed Hawk eating a pigeon, Central Park

I got a bunch of great shots of him dining, but some are not for the squeamish.

At the Pool, I had two first-of-year sightings, a Swamp Sparrow and a Brown Thrasher.

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Brown Thrasher, The Pool, Central Park

The sparrow was too deep in the shadows for a decent photo. Those two, plus a female Towhee on the eerily quiet Great Hill, get me up to 60 species for the year in New York County.

No comments:

Post a Comment