Monday, January 6, 2014

Long-Eared Owl, again

Today was dreary and damp, a perfect day to stay home. But, there were reports that a Long-Eared owl was back on Cherry Hill in Central Park, so off I went.

It was a marginally better view than last time--I could at least see that the owl had ear tufts. But it was basically unphotographable, at least for me.

Very photograhable, on the other hand, were the Carolina Wrens I encountered at Willow Rock on the way in. In the absence of Titmouses this winter, the Carolina Wrens seem to be taking over "the will land on your hand for food" niche in Central Park. Being Carolina Wrens, they don't bother to wait for you to extend a hand with food in it; they take the initiative. This was one of two wrens at Willow Rock who hopped on my boots and landed on my arm. I didn't have any food.

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Carolina Wren, Central Park

That's an uncropped photo.

The Long-Eared Owl was my 48th species of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment