Thursday, January 2, 2014

In with the new

We were out until 4 AM on New Year's Eve, but I still made it to the Park by 9:15. The continuing Ring-Necked drake was almost the first bird I saw when I got to the Reservoir.

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Ring-Necked Duck, Central Park Reservoir

I circled the reservoir and then headed down the west side of the park to the Reservoir. Across the street from Summit Rock, an American Kestrel surveyed the world from a balcony.

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; American Kestrel, Central Park West

In the Ramble, A young Red-Tailed Hawk flew in and perched only a few feet from me.

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Young Red-Tailed Hawk, Central Park

Later, I saw a young Sharp-Shinned Hawk attacking squirrels. I think this was the same hawk I watched making passes at the ducks on Turtle Pond a few days ago. It's not having much luck.

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Sharp-Shinned Hawk, Central Park

Other park birding news: the Baltimore Orioles continue around Evodia. There's supposed to be a Winter Wren along the Gill between Azalea Pond and Laupot Bridge, but I didn't see it. Now you know as much as I do.

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Baltimore Oriole, Central Park (Evodia)

I ended 2013 with 176 species in New York County and 179 overall. That's counting the European Goldfinch, the Budgie, and the Yellow-Fronted Canary. So, really, three less without the escapees; though I'm inclined to count the Goldfinch, who was flocking with finches. I don't expect to get anything close to that in 2014, but I do start the year with 36 species, only two less than last January 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment