Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Wrens cheer me up

I find the sight of a wren immensely cheering, somehow. They're such purposeful and determined little birds: subtle, active, hard to follow. They don't have the sublime obliviousness of kinglets and gnatcatchers, who live at such a pace that to them we are just slightly unstable geological features, of no concern and no threat; they don't have the skittishness of sparrows and warblers, many of which will scatter if you look at them too hard. The wrens have a healthy skepticism about us, but remain determined to go about their lawful wren business.

Migration is still slow here, but there were a few birds out on the Point. Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Yellow-Rumped and Pine Warblers, Ruby-Crowned Kinglet.

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Yellow-Rumped Warbler, Central Park
my best photo of the day: Yellow-Rumped (Myrtle) Warbler

I took a few photographs, and when I was getting ready to leave, I caught motion out of the corner of my eye, a little brown blur in a tree right by the water. It proved to be a House Wren, my first of the year. I enjoyed watching it busily flitting across the ground and up and down shrubs. After some time, it decided that the end of the Point was a bit too noisy, what with all the rowboats going by, and took off, gone like a shot.

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; House Wren, Central Park
I'm not thrilled with this, but it turns out I have no great photos of a House Wren

House Wren is the 104th species of the year for me. The winds look a little better tonight, so I'm hoping that we'll finally get some more warblers tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment