Sunday, February 22, 2015

Winter doldrums, interrupted by Canvasbacks

Sorry about the long silence. I've been a bit under the weather. I did manage to get up to Inwood Hill Park on Saturday, looking for some Canvasback ducks reported by Nathan O'Reilly. I found two drakes in a little pond in the ice just off the tip of the promontory that helps form the main cove along Spuyten Duyvil Creek.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Canvasbacks, Spuyten Duyvil Creek

They were quite contentedly diving for food and preening between dives.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Canvasback, Spuyten Duyvil Creek

The creek was solid ice starting just west of the little ice-pond. Out on the ice I saw a Great Black-Backed Gull take a partly-eaten fish away from a juvenile Herring Gull. On the shore, a Double-Crested Cormorant rested.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Double-Crested Cormorant, Inwood Hill Park

As I watched, snowflakes began drifting down, and then suddenly it was snowing quite heavily. I decided I wasn't quite up to hiking over the hill to get to the Hudson. Still, it was a nice outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment