Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Meanwhile, back in Manhattan...

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Mourning Dove feeding fledgling, Hudson River Greenway near Pier 63
Mourning Dove feeding fledgling, Hudson River Greenway near 24th Street

While I was upstate, I saw a report online from a reliable observer of a Eurasian Collared-Dove on the Hudson River Greenway just north of Chelsea Piers. That's quite a bird--though it's likely that one in this area is an escapee, there are established colonies in Florida, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that this was a wild bird. So on Monday (6/23), I went downtown to look for it.

Alas, no Collard-Dove for me. There were compensations, though, such as the Mourning Dove I saw feeding a fledgling. Plus, I saw a Raven flying nearby--probably part of the family living on the Chelsea Hotel. That's my 168th New York County species this year.

There were also a lot of Mockingbirds--I saw two adults carrying nesting materials, and several recent fledglings.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Mockingbird  fledgling, Hudson River Greenway near Pier 63
fledgling Mockingbird, Hudson River Greenway near 24th Street

Later in the week, the Conservancy opened the Hallet Sanctuary for an afternoon. There wasn't much there--Orioles and Robins nesting, and I heard a red-Bellied Woodpecker nearby. I took a walk around The Pond afterwards, and many of the usual summer residents were in evidence. The first to really catch my eye was a Great Egret.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Great Egret, The Pond, Central Park
Great Egret hunting, The Pond, Central Park

There were several adult Black-Crowned Night Herons flying around the pond, and an odd looking juvenile heron roosting near the far shore.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Young Black-Crowned Night Heron and turtle, The Pond, Central Park
when you stare at the turtle, the turtle also... well, the maybe turtle ignores you

Stripy throat and chest like a juvenal, but not speckled on the back. I'm guessing this is a first-summer Black-Crowned, not yet molted out of its stripes underneath.

Elsewhere, Robins, Catbirds, and Starlings were enjoying the summer crop of berries.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Robin eating berry, The Pond, Central Park
hit-and-run berry snatching

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Catbird eating berry, The Pond, Central Park
savor the moment

No comments:

Post a Comment