Saturday, May 3, 2014

"I think Central Park birding rivaled the Andes today"

"I think Central Park birding rivaled the Andes today." That's what Brian Tilston Smith (Assistant Curator of Ornithology at the Museum of Natural History) tweeted on Friday, after a hugely birdy day. According to ebird.org, 109 species were seen in Central Park. One Hundred Nine bird species. In all of 2013, 226 species were reported in the park, so Friday saw 48 percent of all the species expected all year. Fantastic.

I saw 51 species--I think that's my best day ever--and 14 warbler species (of the 20 reported in the park). Ten new species for the year--including Indigo Bunting

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Indigo Bunting, Central Park
I've finally taken a good picture of an Indigo Bunting

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, Great Crested Flycatcher, Orchard Oriole, and six warblers (Ovenbird, Orange-Crowned Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Black-Throated Blue Warbler, American Redstart, and Hooded Warbler).

More photos tomorrow. Probably more birds tomorrow, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment