Friday, January 3, 2014

First warbler of the year

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Warbler, probably Yellow-Rumped, Central Park

I decided to see what the storm might have brought in. I had a clever plan--I was going to go into the park from Central PArk West, cross the Ramble, and stop to warm up at the Metropolitan Museum of Art before checking the reservoir. Events intervened; a truck broke down in the Transverse, and I went in from Fifth, past Greywacke Arch.

This turned out lucky. Near the Poland monument at the east end of Turtle Pond, I heard a liquid chip call, and found a warbler, which I think is a very drab Yellow-Rumped.

Later, I saw an American Kestrel eat a Fox Sparrow near Azalea Pond.

I also added Brown-Headed Cowbird, and Song Sparrow to my year list, now at 47 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment