Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Yellow and Red

Migration slowed down a little the last couple of days. Sunday, Elena and I had a nice day out in Central Park, but I had no new species. We missed the big bird of the day, a Kentucky Warbler seen at Evodia north of the feeders about 5:30pm. Oh well, you can't get all the birds.

Monday afternoon, I went down to Madison Square Park to chase the Prothonotary Warbler that had been reported there for a few days. Got it!
Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Prothonotary Warbler, Madison Square Park
Mister Yellow

Madison Square Park was amazingly birdy for such a small urban park. I saw several other warblers including my first-of-season Black-Throated Green Warbler there (141 species for the year in Manhattan now).

Earlier, I finally saw the Summer Tanager that has been seen for a few days in the Ramble.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Summer Tanager, Central Park
Mister Red

Not a great shot, but hey, life bird.

In the morning, I had a great view of a Warbling Vireo singing and feeding in a flowering tree at Maintenance meadow. They are such secretive birds, normally you only hear their loud, cheerful song.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Warbling Vireo, Central Park
Mr. Elusive

No comments:

Post a Comment