Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Lazy weekend

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Eastern Towhee, Central Park
Eastern Towhee in the Shakespeare Garden

Sorry for the lack of posts. I had a lazy weekend.

Sunday an American-Tree Sparrow was reported at the Evodia feeders, so I went out to see if it was still there. I was there for an hour or so, and it didn't show up. I had a nice time seeing the other winter residents--the Baltimore orioles were there, along with Brown Creeper, White-Breasted Nuthatch, Carolina Wren, Downy Woodpeckers, and the usual Juncos, House Finches, Goldfinches, White-Throated sparrows, House Sparrows, and Grackles.

I took a walk around the Ramble, but luckily I came back just in time to see a little rufous-capped sparrow foraging with Juncos and Whte-Throateds:

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; American Tree Sparrow and friends, Central Park
American Tree Sparrow (in the back), and friends

So that's my 67th species in the county this year.

I walked through the Shakespeare Garden on my way out of the park. That was uneventful until I saw a small flock of mixed sparrows, joined by a Brown Thrasher and the very confiding Towhee at the top of this post.  He was maybe 8 feet away from me when I took that shot.

There's been a Red-Shouldered Hawk reported several times in the past week in Central Park, but I haven't seen it.

Anya Auerbach reported a Horned Lark on Randall's Island today, also with Red-Necked Grebe, Common Goldeneye, Common Loon and others. If it doesn't snow all day tomorrow, I may chase those.

No comments:

Post a Comment