Thursday, July 30, 2015

Waiting for the shorebirds

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Great Blue Heron, Muscota Marsh
Great Blue Hunter

It's the end of July and I'm waiting for the shorebirds to show up. As far as I know, nobody's been seeing much in Manhattan--no sandpipers at all, for one thing. I've read that Jamaica Bay is quite uncharacteristically slow, too--maybe the migrating shorebirds are avoiding the whole area.

I was up at Inwood Hill Park the other weekend, and although there were no sandpipers or plovers, there were a few birds of the heron family, including my first Great Blue Heron of the year in Manhattan--two of them actually, hunting quite successfully in the coves.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Snowy Egret, Muscota Marsh
Snowy Egret

There were also at least one Snowy Egret, and a Great Egret. All nice to see, but I'm still waiting for my peeps.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Great Egret, Spuyten Duyvil Creek
Great Egret, workin' hard

No comments:

Post a Comment