Saturday, January 24, 2015

I want to see a Common Redpoll like you

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Common Redpoll, Central Park

It was supposed to snow all day Saturday, the weather report said, so we went out to brunch late. But it didn't seem to be snowing. And when I looked at my phone (as one does), I saw a report of a male Common Redpoll at the Evodia feeders in Central Park. We only get one every couple of years, so off I went to see it. As one does.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Fox Sparrow, Central Park

When I arrived, Adrian and Roman had the area staked out. They hadn't seen the Redpoll. But there were a couple of Fox Sparrows giving good views, and Goldfinches all over the feeders.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; American Goldfinch, Central Park

We didn't have long to wait, though. The Redpoll showed up and claimed a place at the feeders.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Common Redpoll, Central Park

Usually when a Redpoll appears in the Park, it is pretty pale, and there is some discussion of whether it might be a Hoary Redpoll and not a Common. (It's always a Common Redpoll.) This fellow had expensive pink on his breast, so there isn't any question.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Common Redpoll, Central Park

I'd been expecting a Redpoll to show up this winter, because we've had other irruptives from the north, like Red-Breasted Nuthatches and Pine Siskins. I wonder if we'll see any Crossbills?

No comments:

Post a Comment