Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Blue Grosbeak, Purple Finch

I was feeling poorly on the weekend, but then I saw a report online of a Blue Grosbeak at The Pond in Central Park. That's a very nice bird for Manhattan. And so, off Elena and I went.

It was supposed to be in the area just over the fence to Wollman Rink--the same place the Marsh Wren had been the other week.

We were waiting only a little while when I heard a low metallic chink and a big-beaked brown bird popped briefly into view in the midst of the reeds. It was gone in seconds, too fast to make an ID, but we assumed it must be the hero bird.

The next wait was longer, but knowing the bird was in the area made it easier. Eventually there was another low call, a stirring in the phragmites a bit farther back, and--

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Blue Grosbeak, Central Park
our hero

--there it was. Chunky grosbeak beak, very warm brown, sort of a crest, rufous wingbar. That's the bird. I think the fact that teh other wingbar was pale means that it's an immature bird rather than an adult female, but I'm not sure.

The Blue Grosbeak was a life bird for both of us, and my 183rd species of the year in New York County.

My 182nd was a Purple Finch at the Evodia feeders in the Ramble.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Purple Finch, Central Park

So there are still a lot of nice birds coming in this Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment