Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wing, no prayer

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Pigeon wing, Fifth Avenue
Pigeon's wing in front of the NY Public Library, Fifth Avenue

This morning, I got off the bus at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street. I was running late to work, but of course, I looked to see what was in the little strip of grass and bushes along the avenue in front of the main branch of the NY Public Library. Only sparrows. Then I spotted the wing.

Just a wing, a pigeon's wing, I believe. A Peregrine Falcon--they nest in the Met Life building--had dined well recently. Hardly any meat on a bird's wing, so it was left intact. That's life and death in the City.

Here's a more cheerful photo, taken last week while I unsuccessfully chased the reported Green-Winged Teals in Central Park after work:

Ed Gaillard: recent &emdash; Central Park Lake from Hernshead
Central Park Lake from Hernshead, at sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment