Wednesday, July 23, 2014

More warbler arrivals

Monday on my walk through the Ramble, I heard a House Wren singing in Mugger's Woods.  Since I'm always keen to get photos of singing birds, I followed him as he marked the border of his territory.  I never did get a long enough look for a photos, but on the path down toward the Ramble Arch, I found a Black-and-White Warbler doing what Black-and-White Warblers do.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Black-and-White Warbler, Central Park
...doing what Black-and-White Warblers do

White photographing her, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and high up. There was a Yellow Warbler, quickly gone, and then above that a Northern Parula.

Ed Gaillard: birds &emdash; Northern Parula warbler, without tail, Central Park
oh, the Parulas have no tails in the Ramble...

The Parula seemed to be getting along fine without a tail, but I assume he'll be around until he regrows those feathers. I see a bird or two every Fall migration without tail feathers, usually a warbler or sometimes a sparrow. I wonder why they start migrating before their molt, or what else it could be.

I didn't see the Worm-Eating Warbler reported at the Upper Lobe. I also didn't see much at Randall's Island on Tuesday--Black-Crowned Night Heron, Great Egret, Spotted Sandpiper--but I assume the shorebirds will arrive in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment